Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Can you Change the World??



I was recently sent an article/video, 10 Life Lessons from a Navy Seal, from my oldest daughter, Michelle, who said it might be a good topic for a blog entry.  Not knowing what the article was about, I clicked on the link (http://www.lifebuzz.com/10-lessons-from-navy-seal/#!T3IxB) and seven words kept repeating themselves over, and over, and over again throughout the piece... "If you want to change the world..."

I now knew why it was so important for me to read this inspirational article about a Navy Seal who challenged the graduating class at the University of Texas at Austin to change the world and how they can do it.  I challenged my own students to "Change the World" each year in my classroom.  Sometimes it was a mere "be kind to everyone you meet", "be empathetic to others", "have someone's back", and other slightly simple phrases.  Many times, my students heeded my words and conquered the challenge by listening more attentively, giving more completely, and helping more deeply.  However, never was this statement more true than with a group of students I dubbed "The Mix".

This group of students came into my life when they were freshmen, being placed in my Academic Skills class where they would learn how to adapt to high school expectations by enhancing their study skills and reading comprehension.  They became my family and over a four year period, we became an important part of each others lives.

When they entered their senior year, we had already traveled to New Orleans to help rebuild after Hurricane Katrina, and traveled all over the East Coast to listen to Erin Gruwell speak about second chances, hope, and believing in the underdog.  What else could we do before they graduated?  On the first day of their senior year, I posed the question:  "If you could change the world, what would you do?"  They came up with many creative ideas and settled on the grandest solution they could realistically perform:  They were going to Nashville, Tennessee to build a playground for a group of poverty stricken students whose families live with an annual family income of $5,000.  They were also going to bring them backpacks, clothes, school supplies, and so much more.  How could six students, in a time period of a few months, raise enough money to do all of this?  They did it because they realized that there are kids in this world who needed them and they wanted to change their lives.  "The Mix" changed the lives of many young people in Nashville, Tennessee and, in return, their lives were also changed.  They no longer complained about things they did not have because they witnessed those who had little and never complained.  They witnessed smiles on faces who should be crying.  They received hugs from young children who were so appreciative for a simple t-shirt and time spent playing together.  They received unconditional love and gave it in return.  "The Mix" changed the world .... what can you do to change the world?

Read more about "The Mix" in my book Heart Prints which can be purchased on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment