Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Heart Prints - A Dream Fulfilled!



Heart Prints is a dream come true.  Coming to the time in my life where I was ready to sit down, write and expose my life did not come easy.  Many events transpired over my fifty plus years on this earth, but none were quite as life-changing as my Freedom Writer experience. 

Becoming a Freedom Writer teacher changed my attitude, approach, and candor within my classroom.  I learned how to connect, transform and build upon my students experiences... the good, the bad and the ugly.  I learned how to take the toughest of student and bring them to understand others.  I learned how to teach tolerance and acceptance.  I learned how to reach the shyest of students by relating through similar life experiences.  I learned how to combing teaching with my heart instead of just my head.  I learned how to reach a student who struggled with academics and and felt helpless and, sometimes, stupid.  I learned to teach to each student instead of a class of students.

Heart Prints follows my transformation as a teacher of English to a teacher of life.  It is not just my voice that you hear as you turn the pages... several of my students wrote of their perspectives while a student in my/their classroom.  I invite you to take a few hours and read about the power of making connections and the successes that ensue.

I will use this blog space to share different quotes from Heart Prints, as well as thoughts and reactions to the book in hopes of  raising questions about the current educational system. My hope is that you will contribute by responding to questions, raising your own concerns, and challenging my own thinking.  I look forward to our blogging relationship becoming a big part of my daily life!

Heart Prints is available on Amazon for purchase
Heart Prints is available at Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment